Monday 2 February 2015

Wild Winter Walks in Wales

This weekend was the most wonderful retreat away from city living as I got a true taste of the great outdoors. Saturday consisted of a practice navigation around part of the Gower Peninsula in Wales.
 
 
Whilst I like exploring out in the wild, I can admit that navigation isn't my strong point, and whilst I knew the forecast wasn't great, I hadn't quite prepared myself for the elements we'd face when we reached the cliff edge and eventually the summit. In honesty I leapt at a rock due to the high gale at one point to act as a wind-breaker. Yeah, not cool. However my partner coaxed me into reaching shelter further on round the path and on reaching the trig point we gained a little breather.

 
 
The trek descending was respectively safer and I was glad to be walking the path more comfortably aware of this. Despite the cloud and the winds, it was good prep for the following day which would prove ultimately more challenging in many respects, but equally exciting and far more rewarding.

 
Day 2 was the purpose for the quick trial along the coast, as I prepared myself to assist in leading a Gold level Duke of Ed. group around the wild and varied terrains of the Brecon Beacons. Snow however was forecast and such an effect was this that, as expected, it altered our plans and so we'd be taking to Gower once again but for a much longer and testing endurance. (I should note here that I never managed to do my Duke of Ed. award, nor have qualified as a leader, but it's always been a dream and with some kind assistance I was allowed to participate with helping out)



 
It was an early start, leaving on very little sleep, which isn't really an ideal recipe as one might expect for such an active day on the horizon. Never the less all went ahead and despite feeling a little uneasy on the journey out, the day started rather well and everyone I met seemed friendly enough.
 
Wild Mountain Horses
 
I was one of three leaders assisting half-a dozen young guys who it turned out were completely mental athletes, they were half way down a hill before we were half way up it and as a consequence we frequently lost sight of them throughout the duration. Although a certain level of fitness is required regardless, these adolescents were certainly keeping us quickening our paces and whilst some of the summit climbs proved gruelling the views from the top, even half way up were stunning
 
 
 
 
All round it was a terrific day and a wonderful experience, which I was truly quite privileged to be invited to be a part of. the D.O.E teams were like an extended family unit and were kind to have a new face joining the troops. From my taster day it is something I am certainly considering pursuing further in the future.
 
 
 
 
 
Love & Peace - til' next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment